Monday, October 10, 2011

Jhodpur day 2

My guide picked me up at 9am and we made our way to the Mehrangarh Fort. This Fort towers over the city and looks quite spectacular. On the way we visited the Mausoleum Jaswant Thada. As the Hindu people cremate their dead and scatter their ashes over the Ganges river, there are no cemetaries in India for Hindus. What they do have are Cenotaphs/Mausoleums to remember their dead. This was a particularly pretty one. Made entirely out of the same translucent marble the Taj Mahal is made of. It was built quite recently by a Maharani to remember her dead husband. When the current Maharadja dies, a memorial will be build on the grounds for him too.
This will be much smaller and on the right side of the original cenotaph.
I witnessed a conversation between an Indian Lady and an English couple. Asking if they liked India and in particular this region and the buildings, they said that after a while they (the buildings) all come together in one and they could not distinguish between them any longer. Asked where they had been, "Don't ask me - we wouldn't know, the names were unpronouncable, but we must rush, we only have 5 minutes here!"
I'm not making a comment - but why do they come?
We then drove the short distance to the Fort and nothing had prepared me for this.
The Fort is made from sandstone and it has the best filigree work I have ever seen in my life.
It has an excellent museum and I enjoyed every minute of my stay. I was so lucky to have such a good guide, his name is Batan, Oh gosh I hope I spelled that right, but he was GOOD!
Praise given where praise is due. So different from my guide in Sikri, who did not give a stuff and couldn't have cared less.
I am now back in my room in the very comfortable Hotel Ajit Bhawan, and I am glad I have time to collect myself and have a rest. On to Deogarh in the morning, roadcall is at 8am

No comments:

Post a Comment