Sunday, October 9, 2011

The next morning Wednesday Oct 6th, we went to the Amber Fort. This is where I had my elephant ride. I had done it before in Thailand, but this time the elephant would bring me to the entrance of the Fort, which is perched high up on a hill. I had a wonderful guide in Jaipur.
One place we visited needs extra mention. I went to the Observatory. First I thought, what are we going there for? The place is brilliant. It has the largest sun dial or sun clock in the world. I was actually able to read the time, exact to the minute. It would be Heaven for an astronomer.
This place was built in the 18th century. Mind boggling!
From Jaipur we drove to Pushkar. Not one of my favourite places. It is to the Hindus what Mekka is to Muslims and I have no place in either one of them. My guide was not the best and I want to forget about this place as soon as I can. I don't think I ever prayed as much for protection of my soul as in Pushkar. 'nough said.
From Pushkar we drove to Khimsar Fort, which is heritage protected and beautiful. My room was 10m square, I kid you not, the bathroom was as big as my lounge room at home.
They were shooting a Bollywood movie and a funny thing happened. Well it was funny to me.
Lunch was included this day and I made my way up the the dining room. There was a lift and when the door opened, this absolutely gorgeous, gorgeous girl was standing in front of me. The look on her face - "Yes it is me, aren't you lucky!!" and all I said was 'Hello' I wouldn't know her from a bar of soap. Did not get a part as an extra either!
The next day, Oct 8th we travelled to Manvar.
Man, the road was bad. And when I say bad, I mean I have never travelled over anything like it by car. But Mr Singh is a good driver and he got us there savely.
Lunch was ready when we arrived - it was good, I really enjoy Indian food. Then I was given a room to relax and have a rest. At 4pm I was picked up for a Jeep Safari. A german couple joined me in the Jeep and as my german is not bad, we had a jolly good time. Saw a bit of the wildlife, like the Ginpara and some Gazelles. We watched the sunset and then were driven to our "Tented Camp" We each had a tent and it was luxury plus. I especially loved the shower. So cute. At 7.15 we met at the bar where I bought a beer, the very nice Kingfisher local beer, and then sat on a white mattress in the sand to watch the floor show. Beautiful dancers and very enthusiastic musicians. We were served nibbles whilst watching the show, so when dinner was called at nine, I was not really hungry. I sat with the german couples husband, as unfortunately his wife had caught a bad bug and was ill. Went to bed very, very happy. The bed was not the most comfortable I have ever slept in and the pillow, I don't know what was inside. It felt like a stone. But I did have a good sleep.
Wakeup call at 5.15 to go on a camel ride to see the sun rise over the camp. Again it was me and the german couple. After that breakfast, then back to the Hotel where Mr. Singh was waiting for me to drive us to Jhodpur. And here I am. Lucky me.

No comments:

Post a Comment